Custom Search

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Short Story: Barangay Maytinago


Barangay Maytinago


In a small barrio where I’ve got the opportunity to visit last November, I’ve been interested in their customs and traditions, particularly on All Soul’s Day when barrio people do rituals and other peculiar activities. I met Mang Alon, a 75 year old settler of barrio Maytinago. As a common tradition, they invited me to stay in their house for a night as a visitor.

Because I was so tired from roaming around, seeing the beautiful sites of the place, I decided to go to bed past 10:00 in the evening. But before entering the room, I heard unfamiliar sounds coming from the last at the end of the hallway. It seemed that someone was mumbling, murmuring like some Latin words or someone’s doing a ritual of what?

For curiosity reasons, I walked into the next door where I’ve heard those sounds. As I went near the room, I heard it louder and the words become clearer to my ears. I started to tremble and my heart beat faster as if it will burst out any time. I could hardly breathe. I could feel the coldness of the place. I felt frozen. However, instead of running away, I couldn’t believe myself. I was already in front of the door, peeping in at the old bamboo wall.

Oh my gosh! What’s that? I saw the room cast with red light, candles were lighted, dark smoke inside the room, and were some human skulls and bones, some stuffed animals of different kinds, and wait… I also saw Mang Alon, dressed in long, black gown with a “putong” on his head. I recognized him because the room was lighted with candles and I really saw his face. Then suddenly someone touched my shoulder, and when I looked back, I saw Mang Alon standing in front of me. I was tongue-tied to see him smiling at me. But suddenly everything turned black and I collapse.

By the time I opened my eyes, I was in bed. I wondered what the truth was. Did I have a bad dream of too much stress? I went home.

My experienced and the questions have occupied a place in my mind which I think I will never find an answer in this lifetime.